Sunday, July 25, 2010

water.

I was watering the plants in the backyard, to be perfectly honest, I was not too happy about it...I had much better things to do.  I was dealing with these plants that persisted to die even with my constant devotion and care. I was wasnt paying much attention to the water streaming over the edge and onto my foot, pants, and the ground. I just wanted to be done. 


It took me a couple more minutes for this scene to really hit me. Here were these plants that were just flowers, there was not immediate need for them. I scaned the backyard, a nice big pool, deep green grass, and plethora of plants and bushes. Dont get me wrong, I love gardens, I think they are beautiful and a celebration of some of the most beautiful things on this earth. 


It just got me thinking about the water I was using and how many people in the world die from lack of clean water. While I could have picked up that hose and drank right from it. Water I was using to feed my unnecessary plants people were literally dying for due to its absence. 


I thought about the rest of my day. 


I washed my car, did laundry, swam, and watched TV. So many things that I take for granted, so many lives, so many children. Goodness, it really hit me. 


But then I asked myself, how can I constantly live my life thinking about the people who are suffering...my actions are not directly causing their suffering. Are they? or maybe it is my inaction that is causing their suffering. hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment